I was trying to download the latest jquery libraries to do some testing on my MacBook Air whilst on the train: but how the hell can I get a file from jquery.com via my 3G iPad to my MacBook Air? There is no Personal Hotspot option on the iPad (unlike the iPhone).
Here’s the solution I found, and if there’s a better way please tell me.
First of all, setup!
- You need the GoodReader app on your iPad to download the file and serve it to your MacBook Air over wifi.
- On the MacBook, use the Create Network option to create a computer-to-computer network option and then on the iPad you go into wifi and connect to your MacBook Air.
- Use GoodReader app on the iPad to browse and download the file (I needed a file from the jquery.com website over the 3G network)
- In GoodReader, use the wireless icon to create a temporary webserver on the iPad. This creates an IP and a Bonjour URL you can use in Safari, such as http://Mr-Luvva-Luvva-iPad:8080
- On the MacBook Air, browse to the IP or URL and you can get your files!
Gotta be an easy way, but that’s what my head scratching worked out whilst mobile.